Re: ebook acquisition collectives

I think Sandy's comments are on target, but that his points can
be pushed further.  The market erosion that this program
envisions is even more extensive than eliminating course adoption
sales.

Let's imagine a typical U. press's sales breakdown to be as
follows:

*25% of revenue derives from library sales (mostly vis Baker &
Taylor)

*25% of revenue derives from course adoptions

*10% of revenue derives from international sales

Which leaves 40%.  Where does that come from?  It mostly comes
from individuals, who are by and large affiliated with
universities.

Sandy's point is that libraries would have to cover their own
piece of the pie (the 25% sold to libraries now) PLUS the piece
sold to students (another 25%).  But there is also that 40% to
individuals to consider.  Thus libraries would have to cover 90%
of the costs, up from 25%.  I don't think this is feasible.

In fairness to Eric, he quite clearly stipulated that he was
thinking about books sold mostly to libraries.  But university
presses do NOT sell books mostly to libraries, though they used
to, many years ago.

What's at issue here is that the market is the academic community
at any particular institution, but that community has multiple
purchasing points:  libraries, students, and faculty and
administration.  All of these pieces are necessary to make the
economics (just barely) work.

Yes, of course not every university press has the sales
distribution that I sketched here, but if there is an average
press, these numbers would fit pretty well.

Joe Esposito

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Sandy Thatcher