RE: Springer Open Choice uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

I cannot let this posting go unchallenged.

I shall stick to the area of STMS journals which are the biggest
cost to libraries and where a large number of the published
papers are actually to be sound. It is (to my mind) much more
sensible to look at the number of articles published rather than
the number of journals. I do not know how the Kaufman-Wills
figure in the calculation referred to (follow the URL) given was
reached but I would guess that they sampled the DOAJ 5000 plus.
Many of these are small humanities journals. In STMS
(particularly STM) the big OA publishers are BMC, PLOS and
Hindawi. All charge authors.

Now I have been in scholarly publishing for nearly forty years
(just finished) and I have never published a journal that had
page charges. I worked for Academic Press (now part of Elsevier),
Oxford University Press, Chapman and Hall and Wiley-Blackwell. In
three of these publishers I held senior positions and had
management of all journals in two of them. At no stage did I
publish a journal that levied page charges. Some journals did
levy colour charges (colour is optional) but I cut them out when
I could. Now I am aware that page charges are quite normal in the
US learned society journals but in international commercial
journals they just do not figure.

I have just checked with people in two very large publishers
among the top four in terms of size - and quality - in scholarly
publishing. They both confirm my understanding, though they
qualify that there could be some journals published on behalf of
the associations which did levy page charges -- they did not
however know them. Nor do I?

I claim that the posting by Hooker is misleading. I have seen
similar postings. I have challenged Peter Suber on them in the
past. I take it that this is an advocacy argument rather than one
concerned with finding out the real situation. There is no need
to use this type of advocacy and I do not think the excellent OA
publishers I refer to do use it. They rely on the quality of what
they do.

Anthony Watkinson
University College London