Re: Springer Open Choice uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

Jan,

I am not defining fair nor do I have any interest in doing so; I
will make decisions about subscriptions based on circumstances
and price as always.  But is evident from your original post and
this reply that your definition of "fair" is whatever maintains
or increases publisher revenues.  If OA does not reduce costs to
libraries, then I'm not sure what is its purpose.  All we are
doing then is moving the deck chairs.  In any case, the system is
broken; if you want to hasten it to its grave that is your
lookout.  The stock market and real estate bubbles went on far
longer than any rational person would have thought, but they
crashed in the end.  No doubt the journal bubble will as well.

cheers,
FJ

Fred W. Jenkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Collections & Operations
   & Professor
University of Dayton Libraries