Re: Springer Open Choice uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

Bill,

Funny, your PAPAPA model, but not quite to the point. POGA stands
opposed to the hybrid model in this discussion, which is
"Pay-or-don't-pay-the-only-difference-is-OA" (a rhyme, this time,
as there is no suitable acronym :-). The hybrid model gives the
choice to the authors, many of whom don't seem to care too much
about OA, unfortunately.   Your "pay-twice-for-nothing" moniker
is ridiculous. Sorry. The 'double dipping' allegation is perhaps
a suspicion you (and many others) like to harbour, but I have so
far not seen any evidence in fact. And you know what? It may even
happen, in some cases. But here, as everywhere else, it's 'caveat
emptor'. Ignore the OA articles in a hybrid journals, and judge
the price purely on the non-OA content. Then compare to other
journals, or to your own perception of a fair price. If the
journal fails that test, cancel. Or not, and keep moaning. Who
knows, one day it might even help.  Your point 1) is fair
comment. The only thing I haven't seen evidence for is "the vast
majority" of journals charging colour fees and levying page
charges. But even if it is a minority, it's a very good argument
in favour of POGA journals. I'm for POGA, in case you haven't
noticed, and to me calling it 'pay-or-go-away' is not derogatory
in any way, but simply a matter of clarity.  In spite of the
clarity, and as for your point 2), you may well be right that
there is no evidence of impecunious authors being turned away. I
have no evidence for those authors simply not even trying (for
instance because they don't want to be seen as being
impecunious), but I do regard that as a strong possibility. One
of the reasons why they are not being turned away as yet, is
likely the as yet small proportion of non-paying authors
submitting. I wonder if there are any stats. Do you have those?
And I wonder what would happen if non-paying authors would start
to flood the PLoS and BMC journals with their submissions.  As
said, I'm a strong supporter of the POGA model, and the only
model that I can see that's better still, is one where the costs
are borne not just by those articles that are published, but by
all the articles that are being submitted and place a burden of
work on the publisher as well as the peer-review system. In other
words, a submission fee system (rather like an exam fee system,
where you pay whether or not you pass) with no, or very little,
extra cost if the article is published. It would be fairer on
everyone, alleviate the extra burden on peer-review of
'cascading' down the journal pecking order with repeat
rejections/submissions cycles (with the need, every time, to be
reviewed again), and make it possible for these fees to remain in
a narrow band of variability, as the cost to journals is not so
dependent on their acceptance rate any longer. Would a major
publisher (I include PLoS and BMC in those) dare to go that
route?

Best,
Jan