VIVA will cancel Blackwell Synergy as of 12/31/10

Forwarded on Behalf Of Kathy Perry [kperry@gmu.edu]

Colleagues,

This statement was released today, Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA) announces that despite
discussions over a 7-month period, it has not reached a
satisfactory conclusion to negotiations with Wiley for the
Blackwell Synergy Journal Collection.

For four years, VIVA subscribed to the Blackwell Synergy Journal
Collection, a core group of journals ranked highly by our
members.  Wiley's acquisition of Blackwell has created a larger
collection at a much larger total price, but one that our members
did not value as highly and which our members were not able to
support.  Efforts to identify a smaller collection of desired
titles were not successful in achieving a sustainable price,
particularly important given the current economic crisis and the
uncertainties of our members' future funding.  As a consequence,
the VIVA contract for the Blackwell Synergy Journal Collection
will end at the conclusion of the existing contract period on
December 31, 2010.

VIVA remains dedicated to leveraging available funds and pursuing
alternative resources for the VIVA institutions.

VIVA is the consortium of the nonprofit academic libraries with
the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Members include all of the 39
state-assisted colleges and universities (the 6 doctoral
universities, 9 4-year institutions, and 24 community and
two-year branch colleges), as well as 33 of the independent
(private, nonprofit) institutions and the Library of Virginia.

VIVA's mission is to provide, in an equitable, cooperative and
cost-effective manner, enhanced access to library and information
resources for the Commonwealth of Virginia's nonprofit academic
libraries serving the higher education community.

Katherine A. Perry
VIVA Director