RE: Springer Open Choice uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

Dear Jan: So some assumptions before determining that
"cancellations" mean lost income.  First, must we assume that
costs didn't go down for the journal (none of that cheaper by the
pound stuff--cost effectiveness measures must not be considered?)

Isn't the assumption of "lost subscriptions"  a major
hypothetical itself, dependent again on some accounting tricks to
even determine if a title has "lost" subscriptions since most
"subscriptions" at this stage are package or big deal revenue
base?  How do you get at one title's performance when most of
your sales are package driven anyway?

It would be hard to credit a publisher complaining of
cancellations without asking the concomitant did you see
increased revenue i.e. more big deal packages sold? Cost
efficiencies in online support? Did you credit "that" journal
with increased market share because you increased big deal sales?
Or credit that journal with decreased cost because replacement
servers cost less? In total, this isn't enough information to
even begin to judge that increased cancellations should result in
failing to follow through with the expectation that OA fees will
reduce subscription prices. And how does that subscription price
reduction offer impact package sales anyway?? (probably not at
all is my guess)

I seem to remember more than one publisher saying last year we
can't reduce your cost increase even if your budget is cut by X%
because you signed a contract guaranteeing us a certain level of
increase. I'd say something similar to publisher's trying to
squeeze out of commitments to reducing the cost of a title based
on OA sales. Hold on there. What about public commitments made?
Chuck Hamaker