Stage Five Book Publishing

I gave a presentation at the AAUP conference on "Stage Five Book
Publishing." The stages--from legacy print publishing sold
through intermediaries to ebooks sold on a subscription directly
to individuals--apply to all books except those sold for
classroom use, which have a different distribution structure.

The context of the presentation is summarized at the Scholarly
Kitchen:

http://j.mp/9thnIV

The Kitchen embedded the slides, which are up on SlideShare.

The text of the presentation is on the AAUP Web site:

http://j.mp/cCTWkF

The presentation provoked some strong responses.  Most
provocative for this audience was the remark that libraries would
account for a smaller market share in total publishing
expenditures in 5 years time. I would have thought that this was
accepted by now, at least by librarians.  But if librarians see
their materials budgets growing faster than the industry overall,
I would like to know about it.

I have been asked to develop the text of the presentation into a
more formal document, which I will work on over the summer.
Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Esposito