Re: Electronic OA plus print on demand model for books

I am afraid Heather is misinformed about the economics of print
on demand.  The unit cost for POD is significantly higher than
for books printed on offset equipment.  The savings for POD, when
they exist, come about from the absence of a need to manage
inventory.  If you can sell only one or two copies, POD is more
efficient.  If you can sell 1,000 (or 100,000, for that matter),
start the presses.

As for the idea that ebooks will represent a market that is
substantially additive to the print market, well, what was that
line from Hemingway?  'Wouldn't it be nice to think so?'

Joe Esposito