Re: Interview w/Sarah Pritchard, Univ. librarian, Northwestern U.

There is a difference between books going digital and books going
OA, of course, as Joe well knows. A number of university presses
are now engaged in several joint efforts to launch e-book
ventures based on the subscription model, and individual presses
like Duke and Oxford have already gone ahead on their own. These
may or may not turn out to be successful over the long term, but
they will not succeed in providing much greater distribution for
e-books than print monographs already have; there will still be a
handful of "haves" and a multitude of "have-nots," and developing
countries will continue to get the short end of the stick--unless
publishers choose to give them a break, as some of the larger STM
journal publishers have.

OA with books, however, can only succeed, in the short term at
least, if enough revenue can be generated from sales of POD
versions to cover the basic costs. If that model fails, there
will be no OA for books--until universities decide to come up
with the subsidies to support full OA as they now support OA for
journals. But that appears to be a distant point in the future,
if it happens at all. I have yet to see ANY provost or president
advocate in a public forum that universities should fund OA for
monographs the way some of them are now supporting OA for
journals.

(I should add "in the U.S." as the president of the University of
Athabasca in Canada whose press is an OA book publisher is one
administrator of a university outside the U.S. who has made such
a commitment.)  And there is no FRPPA legislation being proposed
for books.  This means, of course, that implicitly administrators
are accepting the reality of a growing digital divide between
book and journal content in the electronic environment, as more
journal content goes OA and almost all book content (with a very
few exceptions) remains confined to the print environment, or
locked up in subscription-based models.

Sandy Thatcher