Re: Interview w/Sarah Pritchard, Univ. librarian, Northwestern U.

Joe's right. At risk of repeating myself: all OECD books are
freely available via Google Books (and have been since 2005).
Last year we had 2.5 million visits (almost double the year
before) and print sales fell by 20%. Luckily, we have a
well-established e-books offer which earned a majority of our
books income last year. If academic book publishers still think a
future business strategy can be centred on print for sales
income: think again. The numbers are against you.

By the way, our first book App for iPhone has had more than 75k
downloads since last August. Amazingly we see half-a-dozen tweets
about it daily! It's free (we launched it as an experiment) but
proves there is demand for reference content adapted for tiny
screens.

Next step: find a way to charge for it or find a sponsor/run ads
on it. And we're now playing with an iPad. The one problem is
ePub because it's useless for books with large numbers of tables,
charts and graphs - but I guess someone will fix that soon
enough.

Toby Green
OECD Publishing