RE: Modern Language Association CFP

Just so you know where I'm coming from, our Press at Penn State
was one of the first to engage in serious collaboration with our
library, and our joint Office of Digital Scholarly Publishing
was, along with Michigan's, among the very first to experiment
with "open access" publishing of monographs. The Ithaka Report
devotes a paragraph to our collaboration as one model to emulate.
I also drafted the AAUP's Statement on Open Access back in 2007,
which was intended to be forwarding-looking and to encourage the
inclusion of monographs in the discussion of open access.

So I think you misunderstand what I mean by questioning whether
any revolution has occurred yet. I specifically focused on the
form of the journal article and monograph as largely unchanged
from the days when print publishing predominated.  While
experiments have been, and are being undertaken, with other forms
of scholarly communication, including social media, they have
hardly yet revolutionized the way scholarly communication is
mainly conducted, though they have the potential to do so. And
the dream of people like Robert Darnton for a truly new kind of
online "book" has yet to be realized in any major, sustainable
way, though I am very glad the ACLS Humantiies and Gutenberg-e
projects were undertaken as efforts in that direction. The role
of digital data in scholarly communication has great potential to
revolutionize scholarly communication also, but it is still in
its infancy.

I am hardly opposed to change. I simply get frustrated that, for
various reasons (including entrenched P&T procedures), it takes
so long to implement. I am sure there are others on this list who
feel similar frustration.