RE: ArXiv Grows Up, Adopts Subscription-like Model

Fair points and one that will be open for vigorous debate.  The
other perspective is that this universal platform will in fact
*level* the playing field, allowing smaller publishers to make up
for their current scale and distribution disadvantages by being
discoverable right alongside larger publishers and thereby
competing solely on the merits of their content.  This could also
be good for users with lower, more transparent pricing:  as has
been demonstrated by Apple, when its app store first launched
there was a wide variety of prices being charged but very quickly
the prices settled into a narrow range of choices from Free to
just a few dollars.

Why would large publishers give up their competitive advantage?
For one, by attracting a much larger audience, and by having the
most content, they will have an opportunity to expand the size of
the pie, so even if their % of that pie diminishes they will
still gain more.  The other reason could be to give those large
publishers a non-controlling equity stake in this platform so
they reap the upside for being the anchor tenants.  As you point
out, the key is one of governance, specifically to ensure the
primary goal is to maximize the value of the platform and not any
one constituent.  While that may be messy, I think it will be
worth the effort and will ultimately be addressed either by the
industry or by Apple/Google/Amazon.