RE: Modern Language Association CFP

Mr. Thatcher,

I've been appreciated being able to read your very intelligent
posts here for years now and have a great deal of respect for
your learning, contributions to scholarly publishing, and
experience, but I find that more often than not I disagree with
your posts because they almost always arrive at the conclusion
that 'there's nothing to be done.'

With all respect, if you sat where we, the vendors do, and bore
witness to dramatically shifting sales figures of print across a
broad number of publishers and, more importantly, to the new
experiments libraries are demanding that we join them in (and we
are very pleased at these invitations), your views might change,
if even just subtly.  This revolution - and it is a revolution -
is being driven by the masses. Peer review is critical, but the
model will be shifted despite our inability to see how - and even
just 'despite us.'

Should we be "still waiting"?  Can we afford to?  Participate or
perish (and we're likely to perish in any case).

What raises my curiosity is in how far removed university presses
in particular have become from their academic libraries.  There
is a great deal of frustration in libraries at the presses'
slowness to change and lack of interest in collaborative
experiments with vendors and libraries.

I know that the 'many still waiting' have a different
understanding from mine, but taking aim at worthwhile discussion,
while restating the same old argument that 'little has in fact
changed,' does not advance anyone, and in fact ensures that those
who adhere to such a narrow view will be left behind.  Change is
generational and the new generation is just arriving in academe.

Michael Zeoli, Lo Scorbutico