Re: Growth for STM publishers in 2008

> PLOS, on the other hand, has already demonstrated one way to
> lower costs through its PLOS One program. The reduction in cost
> derives from adopting a policy of less rigorous peer review.

PLoS ONE peer review is no whit less *scientifically* rigorous
than that imposed by any other journal.  The only difference is
that PLoS ONE does not ask reviewers to make impossible guesses
as to what judgement history is likely to pass on a given paper.
I would hesitate to describe the addition of such guesswork to
the review process as an increase in rigor.

So far as costs are concerned -- whatever the cost of
prognostications about likely importance, I personally would
rather the publishers skip that step and pass on the savings.

If, that is, there are savings.  How exactly does the PLoS ONE
model of peer review result in lower costs?

B.