RE: Changing the game

A little belatedly - I am on the road again -, I would like to respond to
Sandy's interesting remarks.

The CDN$ 8,000 subsidy to Canadian university press does not cover the whole
cost. It was never meant to cover the whole cost, and if my earlier reference
to this programme led Sandy (and perhaps others) to think that it did, then I
must not have expressed myself as unambiguously as I should have. The programme
allows young scholars to compete for these funds to get a book published. They
can do it in two ways: either applying directly to the programme or, once
provisionally accepted by the press, applying together with the press. The
majority of authors follow the second path for reasons that should be fairly
obvious: being backed by a press gives added weight to the request.

The costs mentioned by Sandy are, of course, of the highest interest. What
puzzles me a little is that, in 2005, John B. Thompson in Books in the Digital
Age seemed to indicate that, already, the cost of printing on demand was
cheaper for up to 300 copies than using batch production. Four years later,
these PoD costs must be even a little lower. Why is batch retained?

The Canadian subsidies programme is not directly related to OA although I argued
(when I was VP of the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social
Sciences) that the use of public money would justify placing older,
out-of-print volumes in electronic OA  Prior agreements with outfits such as
e-brary seem to be in the way, or at least this is what I was told by some
people connected with some of these presses. Some of them added that
"out-of-print" was an obsolete conmcept... No comment!

In my opinion, based on what I hear from sources such as HSRC in South Africa,
ANU Press in Australia, Athbasca in Canada, etc. books in OA in the electronic
format tend to stimulate the sales of paper. I know tht I bought my copy of
Benkler's Wealth of Networks after having browsed at length through the
electronic copy that is available on the Net. For this reason, I continue to
think that this trend will ultimately develop.

Going back to experiments like OAPEN, despite the irate comments of a member of
this list. It will be interesting to see how the European presses involved are
going to evolve new products. Some very interesting innovations may emerge
thanks to the leeway granted to these presses by that grant. I know I will be
monitoring these very closely and with great interest.

Jean-Claude Guedon