Re: Changing the game

Responding only to one technical item in Jean-Claude's post.

JCD notes that John Thompson suggests that for print runs under
300, POD is the preferred method.  This is not quite accurate.
The choice is not between POD (literally printing a book when an
order comes in) and "batch" (printing several copies at once).
The choice is the kind of printing equipment one uses, whether
digital or offset. Offset presses are now more efficient than
digital equipment (the Xerox DocuTech machines are the ones most
often cited) for quantities of perhaps 300 or more.  But that
figure varies; for some equipment the line may be at 500 or even
750 copies.

If you are printing 200 copies, you almost certainly will use
digital equipment, but it is still "batch" printing.  The batch
is simply smaller.

The industry term for this kind of thing, whether printed
digitally or with offset equipment, is SRP, for short-run
printing.  For all the talk of print on demand, most operations
are in fact SRP:  a small quantity of books printed at the same
time.

The reason publishers still use batch printing, regardless of the
equipment, is that it is cheaper (and may have higher quality).
If you think you can sell 1,000 copies in a year (not to mention
if you think you can sell a hundred thousand or millions, as is
the case for the new Dan Brown novel), it is less expensive to
print the books all at once and put them in a warehouse.  If you
think you can sell 3 copies, well, POD makes sense.

These are no longer strategic decisions.  The practical course a
publisher takes is to create a digital "master" of a book.  That
master can be used for offset printing, digital printing, the
sale of PDFs or ePub formats, or any number of other things,
including presumably the sale in a format compatible with the
Apple iTunes store (if one believes even a fraction of the
chatter on the new media lists about Apple's alleged new ereading
device).  It's digital first, print second.  How long before the
print versions disappear, I leave to others to predict.

Joe Esposito