Re: Building collections in a bad economy

From: "Tony McSean" <tmcsean@hollar.co.uk>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Building collections in a bad economy

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you are going to be
involved in ILLs on any scale it is vital to make sure you have
current cost-per-item and marginal cost figures that reflect the
true real cost of the service.  When I was involved in supplying
80,000 items/year the cost calculations factored in management
overhead, development investment, equipment depreciation and
anything else we could think of.

You can't risk getting unwittingly into a situation where the
more you supply or receive ILLs (in whatever form) the more
budget trouble you get into.  Most senior librarians understand
that, and I guess the others may soon have bags of time to learn.

Tony

Tony McSean
+41 22 791 3539