RE: Building collections in a bad economy

Greg,

There's one model we're working on which may be of interest. It
works like this:

An institution subscribes, paying a fixed, annual, fee, to a
collection of content. This gives unlimited online access to the
institution's user-community. So far, so ordinary (although this
model is still more true for e-journals than it is for e-books,
but we're having great success in offering this service for our
e-books).

Then, and here's the twist, we bundle into the arrangement local
print rights. This means that librarians could use local
facilities to manufacture printed books, as needed, using digital
presses. (The digital files would be downloadable from the
publisher platform.) The cost of doing this would be a
librarian's affair, and how they recoup their costs would also be
their affair (so if a librarian wanted to recoup the
manufacturing cost by selling the printed book to the reader,
they could). The printed edition could either be lent or sold by
the library, again, it would be up to the librarian to determine
which model to offer.

The supply of printed editions to the library's usual user
community would be royalty-free (as far as we're concerned, we've
already sold the content to the library and we'll do so on terms
which satisfy our agreements with authors). If the librarian
wanted to supply printed editions to anyone else (including
another library), we'd want a fee or royalty.

This model, I think, would help librarians improve the service
they offer their communities at a lower cost. Imagine a lecturer
deciding to recommend one of our titles to a class of thirty.
Instead of having to wait a week or more for them to arrive, they
could be made on the spot! It would be more cost-effective for
publishers (it would save us having to manufacture, handle and
ship printed copies which could just as easily be made locally).
It is environmentally friendly and less wasteful too since
printed copies would only be made when needed and the
'book-miles' could be very small indeed!

Do others on the list think this might be part of the future? Are
we thinking on the right lines?

Toby Green
   Head of Publishing
   Public Affairs & Communications Directorate
   OECD
   toby.green@oecd.org