RE: Building collections in a bad economy

We haven't done a formal cost study in a long time, although
we're in the process of doing one using the ARL model, so this is
not based on actual total costs.

For purposes of this experiment, we're just looking at what we
currently charge our patrons -- which is $15 per item.  What
we're looking at is reducing that charge to, say, $5 (using funds
from the content budget).  Similarly, we'd cover the first $10 of
a pay-per-view charge and the patron would be responsible for the
rest.  It would be up to the patron to decide if the immediacy
advantage was worth the difference in what they would have to
pay.

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu