Re: The value of peer review as it relates to the NIH Policy

It is very refreshing to have these kinds of questions raised by
a librarian!

But, to play the devil's advocate, let's focus on just what a
publisher actually does in the journal peer-review process. With
some very rare exceptions where a publisher's staff may have some
direct involvement in the peer review itself, my understanding is
that the publisher's role in peer review is limited to: 1)
selecting and paying (when payment is involved) a journal's main
editor; 2) perhaps approving the appointment of members of an
editorial advisory board for the journal; 3) providing a software
system (and training the journal editor in the use thereof) to
facilitate the processing and tracking of submitted manuscripts.

There can be significant costs involved in supporting this
peer-review system. Hence, to that extent, the NIH is getting a
"free ride" in peer review at publishers' expense. And it does
seem unfair that this cost is not compensated at all by the
federal government, which in theory could set up its own system
for carrying out this vital function.

However, the actual peer review itself is conducted, not (with
very rare exceptions) by anyone on the publisher's staff, but by
the (paid or unpaid) journal editor, the (probably unpaid)
editorial advisory board members, and the thousands of (unpaid)
scholars who are asked to prepare reports.

I have always objected, therefore, to the use of the word
"managing" as not being entirely accurate in describing the
publisher's role in the peer-review process for journals. The
word "supporting" would be much more precise.

This stands in stark contrast to the peer review of books, where
the publisher's staff is integrally involved in the actual
selection and vetting of the works at every stage of the process.
And it is even more complicated, as I have described in a
boards also play an important role (and need to be "managed" by
the press's staff) in addition to external reviewers and
publishing staff. Here one truly is "managing" the entire process
from within the publishing company; indeed, in part the staff is
"conducting" the peer review in a crucial way.

In assessing any government appropriation of publisher's value
added, I would argue, one must be precise about just what is
being appropriated and what its true value is. For books,
government appropriation of "value added" by publishers would go
well beyond what it is for journals.

I am of course here focusing solely on peer review, not the other
dimensions of value added by publishers, such as copyediting,
design, marketing, etc.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press