Re: Happy Anniversary Napster, and Thanks for Your Impact on Scholarly Communication

Greg Tananbaum wrote:

"By changing our sense of what was possible in the sharing of
information, Napster is at least partly responsible for our
changing scholarly communication ecosystem. So happy anniversary,
Napster, and thanks for making our lives more interesting."

Sharing is not something new to science.  To suggest therefore
that music file sharing changed the fundamental ethos of science
is historical revisionism based on technological determinism.
If anything, the development of digital media changed how a
generation of individuals view information.  That generation, who
grew up without a history of purchasing physical media (like
vinyl albums, cassette, 8-track, or VHS tapes) does not perceive
information as property.

It is this shift in our perception of information which is is
making our lives so interesting because it threatens established
models of commerce and thus changes the loci of power.

--Phil Davis