Re: Happy Anniversary Napster, and Thanks for Your Impact on Scholarly Communication

I agree with Phil Davis who wrote:

'That generation, who grew up without a history of purchasing
physical media (like vinyl albums, cassette, 8-track, or VHS
tapes) does not perceive informatio as property.'

But it is not only 'that generation'. Having spent 15 years
selling high value computer software before the internet I could
provide many, many examples of managers and leaders in large
organisations who thought nothing of knowingly installing
software, with license values in 100s of thousands (pounds,$,
etc) onto extra unlicensed processors on the basis that 'it would
not cost the software owner any money' if they did so.

People generally, outside publishing (including sofware etc.),
don't perceive information as property. What has changed is the
number of people with the opportunity to breach the walls of the
citadel.

best wishes

Simon Dessain
Digital Director