Re: Happy Anniversary Napster, and Thanks for Your Impact on Scholarly Communication

Not to be a cynic, but one possible lesson from Napster is that
those who challenge existing copyright law by engaging in
activities that copyright owners consider to be illegal get
rewarded by being bought out (Napster) or leveraging their threat
to the system by making sweet deals with copyright owners
(Google, perhaps Scribd next). But this doesn't always work:
witness Grokster, which went out of business. One wonders what
will happen with Pirate Bay....

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press