RE: Supplying electronic articles via ILL

My understanding was always that the licence restriction is about the
vendor's fear that a 'live' PDF will be edited on its way through the
systems and therefore the vendor could be held responsible for changes
they did not make, but can't prove otherwise. Or something like that.

I believe if the licence says 'no electronic transmission' we have to
abide by that for the electronic sourced copies. But a printed journal
article can always be scanned to PDF and sent. And I think the printing
of an online-sourced PDF and then re-scanning it is probably OK from a
'safety' perspective, but if the licence doesn't say you can then there
could be a problem. If you are printing to PDF using software that
doesn't OCR what it is printing, then that should also be safe, but
would still be grey. And if your printing to PDF was doing OCR at he
same time, then you are back to square one with the vendor's fear that
the text might be altered somewhere.

Does that make sense?

I have always felt that the licence wording is out of date for today's
needs, but I guess the vendors pay their lawyers to set it up without
any understanding of library systems, and then it stays the same forever
regardless of the fact that in the meantime the world has changed.

Cheers

Raewyn

Raewyn Adams
Librarian