From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of B.G. Sloan
Sent: 19 May 2009 01:35
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Supplying electronic articles via ILL

Sally Morris talks about "the fear that sending the articles
electronically (and, indeed, the recipient then distributing them
onward to all their friends/classmates) is just too easy." Sally
then says that "The modest inconvenience of the photocopier put
some kind of brake on easy, instant, unlimited redistribution."

There's something I don't understand about this argument.
Elizabeth Winter's original post said that "most of our licenses
require that we print off articles before scanning and sending."
The use of the word "scanning" sounds to me like the borrower
gets the requested article in electronic form under most
licenses.

Maybe I misunderstood Elizabeth's original post (or Sally's
point), but if most licenses allow the printed copy of the
article to be scanned and sent to the borrower as an electronic
file, how does this process "put some kind of brake on easy,
instant, unlimited redistribution"?

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN