Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

Here's another thought about backing out of Big Deals that I
don't think has been discussed yet:  If Big Deals are
disassembled, are our acquisition units prepared to deal with
sizable increases in orders?  At the worst, libraries could be
looking at having to order many individual journals instead of
one big package; at best, the Big Deals would be reconstituted
into smaller collections, which would still be an increase in the
number of orders (a few/several smaller bundles instead of one
package).  With the adoption of Big Deals and the switch from
print to electronic, I suspect that many libraries have
reorganized their serial acquisition units to the point that they
are quite different from what they were several years ago; how
well could they cope with a sudden "change back" of sorts?
Granted, we're talking about e-journals here so there is likely
to be no check-in or claiming, but there is still ordering and
bill paying not to mention work with link resolvers and MARC
record services.  The people working in libraries are smart and
resourceful so I'm sure we could handle this situation, one way
or another, sooner or later, but I also think that there would be
an awful lot of work involved.  Would that extra work be worth
dropping Big Deals?

On the subject of link resolvers and MARC record services, how
well would these folks deal with dramatic changes to Big Deals?
At present, they're pretty good at responding to the wide and
varied packages that are available at present but if Big Deals
are chopped up, I could see a plethora of new, smaller successor
packages, likely tailored to individual libraries and consortia
(never mind dealing with the hundreds and thousands of individual
journals that were once bundled in larger, somewhat standard
groupings).  Again, they probably could do it but it would
involve added time, effort, and money.

Andrew

--
Andrew Waller