RE: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget

One thing that has not been mentioned in this discussion is the
excessive price of some of the individual titles from
megapublishers.  By setting prices for individual titles so high,
they make the big deal more attractive.

At The Rockefeller University Press, we categorize an institution
like Loma Linda as a "tier 2" institution.  The average price of
an online subscription to one of our journals for a tier 2
institution is $1,685.  If you do the math for the journals that
are actually read using this price per title, does it still work
out to be more expensive than your big deal?

To be more accurate with this calculation, use a pay-per view
formula for those journals that get fewer than 56 hits per year
(56 x $30 = $1,680), and calculate the cost of those journals
using a fairly standard pay-per-view price of $30 (number of hits
x $30).  When I do this calculation for one of the megapublishers
at the Rockefeller University library (also tier 2), the cost
comes out to be 70% of what we currently pay.

In addition to a call for unbundling from the megapublishers, we
need a call for reasonable pricing of individual titles.

Mike Rossner