Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

that users in small to medium-sized libraries have been gaining
access to a broad range of titles through Big Deals, and this has
been a plus-point for that business model. However, the benefit
has been obtained at great cost to the academic community, not
only financial cost but also academic cost in not having access
to the research monographs and smaller journals which have had to
be sacrificed in order to pay for the Big Deals. Moreover the new
open access models hold out the promise of unrestricted access to
all journals, not only those contained in Big Deals, with a
better benefit to cost ratio than the Big Deals. I do not
under-estimate the magnitude of the change in business models,
but bigger changes in business models are already happening in
the music industry without the industry collapsing.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL