From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of
jean.claude.guedon@umontreal.ca
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 5:46 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: University of Maryland's Open Access Deliberations

It is not because something is not quantifiable that it does not
exist. Limiting one's vision to the quantifiable must create a
very restricted, not to say impoverished, vision of human
activities indeed. There is a famous passage in Saint Exupery's
Little Prince about this point.

How do you quantify your love for your significant other? By
calculating the energy for each caress, counting the number of
caresses and then calculating the amount of oil needed to produce
this energy at the current price? Good luck in your
relationship...

To put it yet another way, value for civilization does not limit
itself to economic value. If kids somewhere are touched because
they understand a poem better through a piece of literary
criticism, and if that kid's life is then to be changed in subtle
and beautiful ways because of that reading, I believe that
constitutes value for civilization and I believe no price can be
assigned to it. But if that reading prevents this kid later to
turn into a suicide bomber, that piece of literary criticism
could have the value of the Twin Towers.

Number fetishists and market fundamentalists, as we can see all
around us, are destroying a lot of value all around us. Value
quantified in the trillions. How inspiring!

jean-claude Guedon