Re: Abundant information, libre open access and information literacy

Klaus Graf:

I did not claim that text mining was permitted under the fair use
law of the U.S. or any other nation.  I expressly stated that "I
am certain that many institutions and individuals have obtained
the right to engage in data mining by the grant of licenses that
did not convey the right to freely reuse the licensed content
(one can verify this by examining the executed license
agreements, or by observing such data mining that is governed by
an implied license)."  You see, I specified "licenses," rather
than fair use, respecting data mining.

Accordingly, I don't understand how your citation to Germany's
copyright law is responsive to my assertion.  Are you saying that
the German law prohibits the grant of a data mining license?  If
not, would you kindly explain the relevance of your citation to
the German law?

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.