From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu <owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tue May 05 04:14:09 2009
Subject: Re: University of Maryland's Open Access Deliberations

I'm not sure what "evidence" we are supposed to see at this site,
which lists several links, most in German. The post by R.J.
Keller titled "Why Free Pays" shows at most that OA is a good
marketing tool for an unknown author (just as free posting of
songs is good advertising for new bands). Please note that Keller
admits that most of the over 2,000 e-book downloads of his novel
brought him no revenue at all, and that his plan for his next
novel is only to post some of the chapters free as a lure to get
people to purchase the book. I see no proof in this example,
anyway, that "OA increases sales."

Most of the stories we've heard making this claim concern one-off
publications of books by very well-known authors like Larry
Lessig, but how one "proves" from such isolated experiments that
OA "increases" sales baffles me. How would one know what these
books would have sold if published just in print but with a
sample chapter or two posted online, say, as a teaser in the way
that Amazon.com uses "Search Inside the Book."

Our own experiment in publishing monographs in Romance Studies
(http://www.romancestudies.psu.edu), where they are available to
read online in their entirety but can only be printed out in
part, is more of a true test because we have over ten years of
experience with books in this series offered for sale in print
only with which to compare sales of the POD versions, and so far
at least there is no evidence at all that "OA increases sales,"
though I am happy to say that sales have not declined much
either.  This is about as close to a "controlled experiment" as
one is likely to be able to undertake since the books are all
monographs on specialized topics in the same general field by
authors not known outside academe and their subjects are quite
comparable to the subjects of the books published in the series
earlier when the books were available only in print form.

The benefit of OA here is not to "increase sales," but simply to
make these monographs much more widely accessible than they ever
were in print form alone. That seems to me a sufficiently
important benefit to make the experiment well worthwhile
undertaking, and we hope we can eventually extend it to other
fields, too.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press