Ranking Web of World Repositories

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro.aguillo -- cchs.csic.es>
Date: Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:32 AM
Subject: Ranking Web of World Repositories

The January edition of the Ranking Web of Repositories is just
published.

http://repositories.webometrics.info/

The number of repositories is growing fast worldwide but still
many of them does not have their own domain or subdomain, and for
this reason it is not possible to add them in our analysis. Some
institutions maintain several databases with completely different
URLs which penalize the global visibility they have.

We are still unable to add usage/download statics but there are
many initiatives already working on standardization of the
collecting methods, so we expect that global data could be
available soon.

Following several requests we now show two global Rankings. One
that covers all repositories as was shown in previous editions
(Top 300), and a new one that focus only on Institutional
Repositories (Top 300 Institutional).

There is a minor change regarding the calculation of the number
of rich files as in this new edition we are using again other
formats than pdf (doc, ppt, ps) to obtain the data. Contrary to
the methodology we used to make the other Rankings, the figures
for rich files are combined and not treated individually.

The French HAL central repository, and its subsets like INRIA,
Social Sciences and Humanities (HAL-SHS) or IN2P3, are at the top
of the institutional repository list.

Important repositories like PubMedCentral, CiteSeerX and
Smithsonian/NASA Astrophysics Data System, do not use standard
suffixes to design their contents (e.g. papers in acrobat format
with file names which extension is not .pdf). This is a bad
practice as it reduces the visibility of these documents to the
search engines.

Our policy is not to include collectors or metarepositories, with
one exception which is DiVa, the interface that the Uppsala
University provides to more than 20 Nordic repositories. Many of
these institutions do not have their own systems but link their
contents to the DiVa portal. Unfortunately, this means that many
of the papers are under different domains and then they do not
contribute to the DiVa's rank.

Isidro F. Aguillo
Cybermetrics Lab
CCHS - CSIC
Albasanz, 26-28, 3C1. 28037 Madrid. Spain
isidro.aguillo -- cchs.csic.es
www. webometrics.info