RE: ALA Panel on Perpetual Access - seeking input

Unfortunately, I am not attending midwinter as this would be a
timely topic to hear views from both vendors and librarians.

As we moved towards more "online only" titles, the issue of
perpetual access has become more important in our roles as
stewards of the institution's investment.  As a result - we
instituted a change in our collection development policy which
addressed the issue directly and which basically states we will
generally stay with print or print + online when we have no good
archiving system in place.  We are a pretty small school in terms
of staff so that has meant outsourcing the archive by subscribing
to Portico since we have no staff time to maintain a LOCCKS
system.

This year we moved over 200 subscriptions to online only for
those publishers offering post-cancellation rights via Portico.
For a few major publishers (Springer for example) who do not
offer post-cancellation rights - we have retain print only. As
our print use continues to diminish - those titles will likely
become targets for cancellation.

With that as background and in the current budgetary condition
where many of us will have to make hard choices about reducing
lesser used titles - it seems that perpetual access is only worth
anything if it includes post-cancellation rights and if
guaranteed by having a copy in print, from a third party such as
Portico, or if you can do it yourself with LOCCKS.  One cannot
predict the changes in publishing industry - merges, changes in
policies, etc. - so without an independent provider for the
content you have very little to fall back upon.  I would have
liked to hear discussion about this topic.

It would be interesting to hear from publishers who do not
provide post-cancellation rights via a third party if they
believe that it will affect their ability to compete for those
scarce library subscription dollars.

For what it is worth.

Mike

Mike Poulin
Digital Resources Librarian & Coordinator of Digital Initiatives
Colgate University Libraries
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346
315-228-7025