Re: ALA Panel on Perpetual Access - seeking input

That the publishers be as flexible as possible while we all try
to figure out what we are talking about. As you are well aware,
we do a lot of local loading on our ScholarsPortal servers in the
province of Ontario, Canada. Some of our 21 universities and many
of the publishers might tell you that we are local loading so
that we have an archive and perpetual access. Others of us might
say that we local load so that the content can be discovered and
that the archive is a bonus. In either case, I do not see a
downside for the publishers so I hope they continue to work with
us, OhioLink, LOCKSS, CLOCKSS, Portico etc. In the meantime,
there will be more panels, discussions, presentations, articles
etc. and we may even eventually come closer to a consensus.

The other word that keeps popping into my head is access. It
seems to be that we have the archiving piece almost under control
but I am not nearly as comfortable when it comes to imaging us
all having access after the infamous " trigger events " take
place.

Namaste,

Warren Holder
Electronic Resources Co-ordinator