Re: ALA Panel on Perpetual Access - seeking input

At 04:24 PM 1/14/2009, Ann Okerson wrote:

Dear Readers:  Let's say that you were invited to be a panelist
on the ALA panel on Perpetual Access, Sunday, Jan. 25, 4-5:30 pm
at Hyatt Regency Denver, Capitol Ballroom Let's further say that
as a librarian and a well informed member of the scholarly
information chain, you hope to offer 10 or so minutes of measured
and important comments and insights about this topic.

What are the key points that you think such a panelist ought to
make? Ann

****

Two points to make:

Frst, I think most librarians now realize that we made a bad, bad
mistake when we gave up our ownership rights and instead accepted
the principle that publishers could license content to us rather
than sell it to us. Perpetual access is one way of trying to
correct our previous mistake and to ensure that we retain at
least one of the rights that first sale afforded us.

Second, I would want to stress that for librarians, perpetual
access is different than a guarantee that the product will
continue to be offered. I am sure that Elsevier thinks that in
this age of the Long Tail, they will be offering their database
products long after some libraries have gone out of business.
And that is an important service on one on which libraries rely.
But for librarians, perpetual access means not only a guarantee
that we can continue to consult material even if the publisher's
business model changes.  It also means the assurance that content
hasn't changed or altered. Publishers needs and archival needs
are different in this regard (and it is one area where I even
have problems with services like PORTICO that must follow the
dictates of publishers).

Best,

Peter B. Hirtle
Senior Policy Advisor
Scholarly Resources and Special Collections
Cornell University
peter.hirtle@cornell.edu