Bad Times are Good Times for Open Access?

In a long and polemical post, Leslie Chan stated that "OA is the
only sustainable way to build local research capacity in the long
term."  I don't wish to argue the broad open access issue yet
again, but I would like to know in what sense OA is more
sustainable than toll-access publications, assuming OA is
sustainable at all.

The fact is that neither OA nor toll-access publishing is
"sustainable." How could they be?  They are both subject to the
same vagaries of the marketplace, the economy, and the changing
interests of funding agencies and the research community, not to
mention the technological transformation known as "Cloud
computing," which, through streaming, will pretty much put an end
to unauthorized copying.

One would have thought that the recent meltdown on Wall Street
would have rid us of the term "sustainable" once and for all.  A
toll-access publiction is not "sustainable" if customers cannot
pay their bills.  An OA service (of whatever kind) that is
supported by an institutional sponsor or philanthropy may find
funding cut back when the size of an endowment plummets.  Surely
many members of this list are facing such cutbacks now.  An
author-pays service (e.g., PLOS or BMC) may be challenged when
authors have difficulty coming up with the cash. In a connected
world, when Wall St. loses, libraries starve.

The sustainability idea is the Miss Havisham of scholarly
communications. We all want to stop the world at a particular
momentous time.  Sooner or later, however, someone pulls down the
drapes and we see Havisham's wedding banquet and the sustainable
models of publishing for the nostalgic illusions that they are.

Better, I think, to imagine what is likely to survive the bad
times we are now living through.  Provided one is not too
particular about all the trappings of legacy publishing, I
believe bad times will be good times for OA for the simple reason
that one form of OA--the simple posting of content on the
Internet without benefit of any editorial review--is very
inexpensive and potentially almost entirely automated.  This is
not "greeen" OA or "gold" OA but "unwashed" OA.  In good times
DSpace is simply an annoyance to an Elsevier or a Wiley; in bad
times DSpace may become the preferred, indeed the only, venue for
some researchers and some disciplines.  This assumes that DSpace
and other OA vehicles are run in a bare-bones way, with little
overhead.  Perhaps that is yet another fantasy.

So, looking out beyond the economic crisis, assuming anyone can
see that far, we are likely to encounter a great amount of
unmediated OA material on the Internet, indexed by Google, free
for anyone to review.  It is likely that commentary will be built
up around at least some of that material, a form of
post-publication peer review.  Over time this could lead to a new
publishing paradigm:  low-cost Internet posting of materials
directly by authors, with increasingly elaborate community-based
commentary surrounding it.  We already see this kind of thing in
the consumer Internet.

I described this scenario in an essay several years ago:  "The
Devil You Don't Know:  The Unexpected Future of Open Access
Publishing." It can be found at http://firstmonday.org.  If you
take the trouble to read this, be sure to also read Stevan
Harnad's nuclear critique of it, affixed to the target article.
It is one of his best, and it inadvertently proves my thesis.

Joe Esposito