Re: Copyright Review Management System - U of Michigan IMLS grant

One of the things I learned early on in working with the Google
Book Search project was that all one can really expect when
seeking to "know" the copyright status of a work is to increase
degree of certainty. After a point, it's a risk analysis issue,
as so much of usage of older copyrighted works is. If your use is
commercial, you probably require a higher level for your degree
of certainty. If your use is nonprofit and educational and you
interweave the risk analysis involved with relying on fair use
into your risk matrix, you might be comfortable with a lower
level for your degree of certainty. And, as you might suppose,
the orphan works status of a work, also a matter of degree of
certainty, figures into the risk analysis for use as well. So, to
anyone not comfortable taking risks (well, assessing and taking),
best to back away from trying to free books from analog
obscurity. The easy cases are mostly already identified.

Georgia Harper
Scholarly Communications Advisor
University of Texas at Austin Libraries
512.495.4653 (w); 512.971.4325 (cell)