Re: Copyright Review Management System - U of Michigan IMLS grant

This is good news, but the problem is sufficiently complex that I
wonder whether any system can be created that will cover all the
complexities involved in determining copyright status. To
appreciate how complex such determinations can get, I recommend
Peter Hirtle's recent analysis of how the restoration of foreign
copyrights under U.S. law in 1994 added another dimension of
difficulty to the analysis:

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july08/hirtle/07hirtle.html

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press