RE: universities experiment with paying OA fees

We aggregators whose core businesses are Approval Plans with
workflow support (MARC records with imbedded local data for batch
load to ILS & batch invoice creation, online tools for various
aspects of collecting - including real-time views on consortium
and peer library activity) find this discussion highly
interesting.

Our first role has always been that of aggregating *appropriate*
content for academic libraries (like academic publishers who edit
and vet the works they publish, we too are a part of the
filtering mechanism to libraries).  As we refit our internal
mechanisms to support ebooks, we are not only thinking along
traditional lines, i.e. aggregating like titles one-by-one from
1500+ publishers and forcing them through our tens of thousands
of approval plan profiles to reach the appropriate selectors in
our customer libraries (still a valid process in e however), but
we are beginning to work with libraries to define "approval
packages" (as opposed to "approval books").  This process is more
complex than a simple blanket order or standing order, as it
incorporates experience and systems developed over several
decades, allowing libraries better control over the dollars spent
on content ingested while still benefiting from bulk purchasing
(in price and in efficiency of delivery).

The same reasons that created a space for aggregators in the
academic print world should absolutely remain central to library
acquisitions and collections in the coming years: aggregating
content from thousands of publishers, providing definition and
indexing to that content, providing delivery mechanisms
supporting selection, ordering, comparison with peers, sharing of
information and purchasing within consortia, and offering
critical data customization and delivery to make the process of
ingesting masses of content manageable for libraries with limited
staff. There's a huge amount of value there that is in no way
offset in the 'big deals.'

As middlemen we are increasingly reaching out to publishers to
share our experience with what libraries want and need a develop
renewed partnerships as a critical percentage of content shifts
to 'e' (e.g. when will publishers like Samuel French and
Dramatists Play Service let us help them deliver their content
online to our libraries? - Many of whom have blanket orders for
these publishers - libraries hate those types of materials in the
print format and would jump at the opportunity to purchase them
in e; When will we be able to aggregate various groups of UP
titles into these packages for rapid and immediate delivery to
our customers without making the libraries either have to go to
50-70 individual sources, etc.).  It seems to many of us that
there is a renewed partnership between the publishers and
aggregators just waiting for the season of the 'big deals' to
pass.  There are some terrific opportunities just waiting for
people to start talking again.

Mike

Director of Sales, Canada
YBP Library Services