Elsevier to Contribute 9 million Articles to CrossCheck

The following press release may be of interest to readers of this list.
Daviess Menefee
Library Relations
Elsevier

Amsterdam, 23 June 2008 - Elsevier announced today that it will
implement CrossCheck, the plagiarism detection service offered by
CrossRef in collaboration with iParadigms. With plagiarism a
growing problem for journal editors, Elsevier has invested in
CrossCheck to develop, pilot and implement, a single database of
published articles enabling publishers to easily verify the
originality of submitted and published work.

After a successful six months pilot with eight leading
publishers, Elsevier is now in the process of integrating
CrossCheck into its editorial workflows as part of its efforts to
support the peer review process and assist the scientific
community in all aspects of publishing ethics. Elsevier will
contribute nearly nine million journal articles to the CrossCheck
database, which is launching with a commitment of over 20 million
journal articles from publishers including the Association for
Computing Machinery, American Society of Neuroradiology, BMJ
Publishing Group, Institute of Electrical & Electronics
Engineers, International Union of Crystallography, The Journal of
the American Medical Association, Nature Publishing Group, Oxford
University Press, Sage, Informa UK (Taylor & Francis), and Wiley
Blackwell.

"By creating a pooled database of articles from multiple
publishers and tested tools, we can provide assistance to the
scholarly community on an unprecedented scale," commented Martin
Tanke, Elsevier's Managing Director of S&T Journal Publishing,
"CrossRef has taken the principles of publisher collaboration far
beyond reference linking. CrossCheck, combined with our recently
launched Publishing Ethics Resource Kit and full journal
membership in COPE (Committee on Publishing Ethics) further
reinforce our commitment."

"CrossRef took the initiative to create this co-operative
publisher service, which we greatly appreciate. This is a
tremendous development and we are delighted that this
collaboration has been so fruitful," said Karen Hunter, Senior
Vice President Global Academic & Customer Relations and
Elsevier's CrossRef Board member, "The iParadigms software is
impressive and we are look forward to working with them."

John Barrie, Ph.D, president and CEO of iParadigms, LLC added,
"Our customers, especially academic ones, have been asking for
more medical and science content for checking the originality of
work destined for publication. Elsevier's adoption of CrossCheck