Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

Apologies for any cross-posting.  This may be of interest to the
group:

*Tizra and Chicago Distribution Center Partner to Provide Online
Access to Scholarly and Professional Books*

June 25, 2008. (Chicago, IL and Providence, RI)

Chicago Distribution Center (CDC), a division of the University
of Chicago Press and one of the nation's largest distributors of
scholarly and professional books, has signed an agreement with
Tizra that will enable CDC publishers to sell subscriptions to
online books. The joint venture will pilot in summer 2008 with
the University of Chicago Press and other CDC publishers and will
use the services of Bibliovault(R), the CDC's digital repository
for not-for-profit publishers.

"The demand for access to scholarly content online is increasing both in
the academic community and among the general public," reported Carol Kasper,
Marketing Director of the Books Division at Chicago.  "Bibliovault(R) is a
cooperative venture between members of the scholarly publishing community,
and the University of Chicago Press is very pleased that it can be used to
facilitate online access to Chicago content and that of our CDC client
presses.

"Our customers have told us that they want to have their content
delivered in a variety of ways," said Karen Barch, COO of the
Chicago Distribution Center.  "Tizra's elegant and easy-to-use
solution gives our publishers a simple way to sell and deliver
their book content online."

The CDC/Tizra service will combine the data conversion, shopping
cart, print fulfillment, e-commerce and reporting systems of the
CDC with the web publishing and delivery capabilities of the
Tizra Agile PDFTM hosted application. The result will allow CDC
publishers seamless online marketing and merchandising. Agile PDF
creates branded web sites, while collaboration with the CDC
enables publishers to integrate sales reporting for online and
print publications.

"We're delighted to be in the first group of CDC publishers
piloting the CDC/Tizra online service," said Garrett Kiely,
Director of the University of Chicago Press.  "University of
Chicago Press publications appeal to wide audiences: from general
readers to educators and scholars.  Our readers need to find us
from wherever they are, with immediate access to the content they
want. Tizra helps us meet that need."

Anne Orens, Chief Marketing Officer of Tizra adds, "Tizra's goal
is to provide a platform for the future of online publishing, and
help publishers generate new, immediate revenue streams from
existing content, without disrupting existing processes. Our
partnership model keeps us focused on our publishers, whether
that means giving them a complete stand-alone sales and delivery
solution, or linking our platform to existing services. We're
delighted to work with a distribution center with CDC's size and
reputation, and through them, to serve their pre-eminent
publishers.

About the CDC

CDC is a state-of-the-art, 273,000-square-foot distribution and
fulfillment operation, providing a full range of services to its
client publishers and its customers worldwide. A long-standing
leader in the distribution and fulfillment of academic books and
journals, CDC provides fulfillment services for more than sixty
scholarly publishers including America's largest, the University
of Chicago Press.

In addition to its warehousing, fulfillment, and business
services capabilities, the CDC also provides short run digital
printing and the digital respository Bibliovault(R) that
currently stores and distributes digital files for more than
15,000 books

About Tizra

Tizra's mission is to provide content owners large and small with
unprecedented control over the marketing, sales and delivery of
their online content. Tizra's first product, AgilePDF, is a
hosted service that enables non-technical staff to create new
online products from existing content and sell them through
publisher branded web sites with highly flexible business terms.
Additional University Press customers include Duke University
Press and MIT Press.  The company is headquartered in Providence,
Rhode Island, and funded in part by Rhode Island's Slater
Technology Fund. More at http://tizra.com.

*CDC Contact
Carol Kasper
ckasper@press.uchicago.edu*