Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

David:

I don't know where the world is headed, but I can vouch for the
fact that I personally have made the kind of business
presentation that you summarize here.  There is investor money
going into this area, with no less a goal than disrupting the
academic publishing market.  And the reason the money is coming
in is because investors perceive that this is a growth market,
that more money will be spent on scholarly communications in the
future.  They could be wrong, of course, but I haven't met any
serious business person who believes that the cost of publishing
services (whether OA, toll-access, or something else) will be
lower in the aggregate than they are now.

As for the Wal-Mart example, let's not lionize the big guys and
let's not romanticize the little guys.  Some things lend
themselves to scale (enter Wal-Mart), some do not (god bless Paul
Ginsparg).  The art of the matter is being able to distinguish
between what goes into one column, what goes into the other.

For the example that started this thread, it's Wal-Mart all the
way.

And now, having stated my point of view, I am going to shop at my
local independent bookstore.  I know it's hopeless, but I like
the little guys.  But I don't extrapolate from my personal tastes
to an economic worldview.

Joe Esposito