RE: universities experiment with paying OA fees

I know that I'm not going to convince Sandy and Jim, but I think
they over-estimate the Wal-Marts and underestimate the smaller
publishers.

But just think about the business model that the CEO of a large
publisher is going to have to propose to create the market that
Sandy and Jim imagine. They are going to have to go to their
shareholders or owners and say 'To drive out small publishers we
are going to have to starve them of authors over the next five
years.  To do that, we need to vastly improve the services we
offer while massively cutting our revenue.  In physics, for
example, we will need to reduce income per paper from $5000 or
above to less than $2000 so as to put the APS out of business.
The sector of our business that has been cash- and profit-rich
over the past 20-40 years will, for the foreseeable future, have
to run at a loss.' I imagine that a few CEOs will be going
without their bonuses!  The point being that to make this change
the large publishers not only have to compete against the smaller
publishers, they have to compete against their internal
expectations of what returns this market brings - and I suspect
that is going to be the hardest thing for them to do.

And while they do that, look at where most of the innovations in
service and dissemination have come from over the past ten years
- I would argue it's been from the small and society publishers,
not the large commercials.  It is the commercials who play
catch-up.  (In the field of online journals, for example, the
large commercial publishers took quite a few years to come
anywhere near what was being offered by HighWire).  Obviously,
'innovations' in sales, where library budgets are tied into a
small group of large publisher in multi-years deals, have come
from the commercial publishers. But in terms of services?  I
would say less so.

So, I think that with a bit of imaginative thinking, focussing on
what they do best, and greater collaboration on infrastructure
issues small and society publishers are uniquely placed to take
advantage of the changing environment and reassert themselves.
(Which is much better, of course, than the main alternative on
offer - their slow starvation of subscription revenues.)

David Prosser
SPARC Europe