RE: universities experiment with paying OA fees

As a small university press that has just lost one of its
journals to a large university press, Cambridge, I do not feel
much sympathy at the moment for David's paean to the virtues of
smallness. One factor in the editor's decision to take this
journal away from us is that CUP can publish a lot more books in
the field in which this journal exists. So, David, how does one
compete with that advantage larger publishers have?

Yes, Highwire was innovative, but so were universities in
creating their own e-mail systems to begin with. Guess what? Many
universities are now turning over this business to Google and
Microsoft because they have been able to invest and create
systems far better than the universities' home-grown versions.

And what about other innovations, like open-source DSpace, DPubS,
etc.? As I look around, I see commercial platforms like Aries
that are far more advanced and sophisticated than anything
self-grown in universities.

And who came up with Cross-Ref, DOIs, etc.? The commercial
sector, not universities or societies.

I grant David that universities can be the initial seedbed for a
lot of innovation. But it doesn't take long for the private
sector to pick up on these innovations and, with their immense
capital resources, develop them into far more sophisticated
systems. Cottage industries will never be able to hold their own
against the Wal-Marts of the world, I'm afraid. The independent
bookstore sector is testimony to that. Just ask my two employees
who used to be managers of local bookstores in State College. The
only general bookstores that now exist are Barnes & Noble and the
Penn State Bookstore (operated by B&N), plus one small store that
doubles as a coffeehouse and mainly sells used, not new, books.

Imaginative thinking has allowed independents to keep a toehold
in this business, but the best they can do is hang on. They'll
never again dominant the sector the way they once did, just as
you'll never see the general store regain the place now held by
the Wal-Marts of the world. The last local general store in State
College, Hout's, closed last year. Meanwhile, more big chain
stores are sprouting up all the time.

David, look around you in Princeton: the same thing happened
there. What remains of the old Balt, the Annex, etc., among
locally owned restaurants, or the Micawber bookstore? All gone.
Now it is just Starbuck's, MacDonald's, etc., and Barnes & Noble.
Not much truly "local" small business left, is there?