Re: In the news (Georgia State)

Under this logic, it makes no rational economic sense for any university to support a press that publishes books and journals consisting 90% of writing done by faculty elsewhere than its own campus. But the system of scholarly communication has always been a cooperative enterprise--which brings us back to the actual subject header here about Georgia State, which under my interpretation is playing as a "free rider" on the system and not contributing its "fair" share. If we go in the direction that Krichel seems to imply we should, Georgia State will get its just deserts by having no press to publish works by its own faculty. Of course, presses who are really annoyed by GSU's misbehavior can always opt not to publish any works by its faculty anyway. Tit-for-tat, so to speak.

Thomas Krichel writes:

Research is published to advertize skills of the academic staff
of an institution. Institutions are in the business to maximise
attention to the research results that are produced locally. When
the library of institution buys access to a journal, over 90% of
the material in that journal will contain material coming from
other institutions, then it subsidizes attention to research
results from other instutions. You don't need a PhD in economics
to see that this makes no economic sense. A rational institution
will pay nothing for research produced elsewhere and will spend
all its efforts to make its results widely available.
Sanford G. Thatcher, Director
Penn State University Press