From: "Ian.Russell" <ian.russell@cytherean.co.uk>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 6:45 AM
Subject: RE: In the news (Georgia State)

Not wishing to split hairs, Joe, but Paul Ginsparg didn't separate certification and dissemination - the high energy physics community had done that already. For years they had shared preprints with the rest of the (fairly small) community. What arXiv did was make that process faster, cheaper and more convenient. That's why it didn't take a government mandate to force authors to use it.

As David notes there is still an interesting relationship between arXiv and journals - at least in high energy physics. Most of the readership comes from arXiv, but the libraries for the time being are still subscribing to the journals. For how much longer I wonder... the academics seem to understand the value that the journals add, so maybe forever!

Ian