Re: Submission in repositories by people other than authors

Toby.GREEN@oecd.org writes

> As you probably know, Repec is to economists what ArXiv is to
> physicists. Repec invites authors to post content, but it is
> also happy to have the institution do the posting on behalf of
> authors.

RePEc is not a publisher, but a library, based on on aggregation
of over 800 publishers called RePEc archives. So it's at a higher
level than arXiv.

> At OECD, where we produce around 100 working papers a year, the
> posting has been done by OECD's Publishing unit on behalf of authors
> since end-2005. Before that, authors self-posted, but only around
> 20% of the papers were actually posted.

For the anecdote, the OECD RePEc archive takes the biscuit for
being the slowest one to open in the time I was involved with
opening RePEc archives. Wim Suyker, an economist at OECD wrote to
me about opening it on 6 July 1999. It was open on 4 October. The
delay was caused by Wim only having access to the server every
Friday afternoon during some tiny time window. Ah, the bad old
days!

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                               RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel
phone: +7 383 330 6813                       skype: thomaskrichel