From: "Phil Davis" <pmd8@cornell.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>; <enrico@medialab.sissa.it>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 4:47 PM
Subject: Token copensation, was: In the news (Georgia State)

I'd be interested in what 'a token fee' means? Given that reviewers claim they spend hours on each article they review, can a 'token fee' be considered ample remuneration of reviewers' time and expertise? In studies of social psychology, one often gets better results from volunteers when they are not compensated than when they are compensated badly. Many medical journals publish annual lists of the reviewers as a public acknowledgment of their contribution, which appears to be an act of compensation (payment as prestige).

I'd be very interested to know whether token compensation results in better reviews in JHEP. Is anyone aware of similar reviewer compensation experiments?

Philip M. Davis
PhD Student
Department of Communication
336 Kennedy Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
email: pmd8@cornell.edu
phone: 607 255-4735
https://confluence.cornell.edu/display/~pmd8/resume

Ann Okerson wrote:
Paul and all:  With respect to (not) compensating peer reviewers, I
was surprised that Enrico Balli's (SISSA) message of 3/27 apparently
went by without comment. I'm reproducing it here and wondering what
reaction readers have to SISSA's plan.  Ann Okerson

******