Re: Token compensation, was: In the news (Georgia State)

Hmm, I guess university presses should stop paying honoraria ("token fees") to scholars for reviewing book manuscripts! According to the study Phil cites, we should then get better reviews.

I'd be interested in what 'a token fee' means? Given that reviewers claim they spend hours on each article they review, can a 'token fee' be considered ample remuneration of reviewers' time and expertise? In studies of social psychology, one often gets better results from volunteers when they are not compensated than when they are compensated badly. Many medical journals publish annual lists of the reviewers as a public acknowledgment of their contribution, which appears to be an act of compensation (payment as prestige).

I'd be very interested to know whether token compensation results in better reviews in JHEP. Is anyone aware of similar reviewer compensation experiments?

Philip M. Davis
PhD Student
Department of Communication
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853