Token copensation, was: In the news (Georgia State)

I'd be interested in what 'a token fee' means?  Given that
reviewers claim they spend hours on each article they review, can
a 'token fee' be considered ample remuneration of reviewers' time
and expertise?  In studies of social psychology, one often gets
better results from volunteers when they are not compensated than
when they are compensated badly.  Many medical journals publish
annual lists of the reviewers as a public acknowledgment of their
contribution, which appears to be an act of compensation (payment
as prestige).

I'd be very interested to know whether token compensation results
in better reviews in JHEP.  Is anyone aware of similar reviewer
compensation experiments?

Philip M. Davis
PhD Student
Department of Communication